Fall is finally here and that means it is time to warm up with our favorite comfort foods. Try a hearty boll of chili with a delicious spin. Created by our very own registered dietitian nutritionist, Chandis Siwek.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-15oz cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1-15oz can tomato sauce
- 1-7oz can diced green chiles
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1-15oz can black beans, low sodium
- 2-15oz cans kidney beans, low sodium
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Add oil to pot on medium heat. Add onions and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, green chiles, vegetable broth, and quinoa. Simmer until quinoa is soft and translucent, about 15 minutes.
Add chili powder, cumin, cocoa, paprika, and coriander. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Add beans, corn, lime and cilantro. Stir together. Serve hot and top with your favorite ingredients, like shredded cheese, sour cream, diced avocado, or additional cilantro.
Prep time: 15 minutes ~ Cook time: 35 minutes ~ Yield: 12 servings